Marinol capsule – Public Domain
There are several shortcomings to using smoked marijuana clinically:
- there is much public and government resistance to smoking marijuana
- medical marijuana lacks standardized composition and dosage
- it has effects outside of the therapeutic goals (ie, psychoactivity), and
- long-term exposure may increase risks to pulmonary health.
D9-Tetrahydrocannabinol (popularly referred to as THC) is the primary psychoactive constituent of marijuana (Cannabis sativa). THC is known to bind to two receptors in the human body.
- cannabinoid (CB1) receptors, located primarily in the brain, and
- CB2 receptors, located primarily in immune cells.
Synthetic cannabinoids can target one or both CB
...read more at http://estela-kennen.suite101.com/cannabinoid-drugs-a72083